Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


So, let me start by saying that this has been my most favorite Harry Potter movie so far! Randomly, I went to the theater and saw it with my parents. FYI, seeing a movie with your parents is always great because they pay for everything :)! Which leads me to the giant slurpee I drank while watching the movie because they paid for that as well....

I saw this on Sunday July 26th. That day it was in the 80's in Seattle, I was about 38 weeks pregnant and my feet were swollen to the size of tennis balls. It was lovely. So, seeing a movie in an air conditioned theater enjoying a cold drink was just what the doctor ordered!

Now let me explain the pictures. Every time I see a Harry Potter movie, I am faced with an internal battle. Who do I love more Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley (so adorable!) or Alan Rickman as Severus Snape (so naughty!)? This movie was just the same. I still can't decide. Although, Ron's arms did look pretty nice in this movie...and I can say that because he's over 18 now :). Anyways, the pictures above represent my little love triangle. Is it a love triangle if I want them both to just lust after me and I get to pick which one I want at will? Hmm...probably not. And I should probably get on to the movie insteading of just divulging my school girl fantasies....

The Half Blood Prince takes place during the kids 6th year at Hogwarts and they are finally old enough to have the hormones a flowing! There is a lot of relationship set-up going on during the movie. You see Harry begin to fall for Ginny (there is even a kiss, very cute!) and the drama that unfolds between Ron and Hermione (Hermione is none too happy when Ron starts dating/snogging Lavendar Brown). I must say that these were all some of my favorite parts of the movie. I think the movie got a lot of flack for having more love story and less plot but honestly, I'd have watched the movie for 4 hours even if it were nothing but love story...it was that good!

There were 2 parts of the film that brought tears to my eyes. Okay, I'm not going to lie...I was full on bawling :). Both of these were Ron and Hermione relationship related. I cried when he first kissed Lavendar in front of Hermione and she left crying to Harry. I also cried when he said her name in the hospital while he was knocked out. Boo-ya! See ya Lavendar! Sadly, I did not cry when Dumbledore died :(. Sorry, I was expecting it people! That was one of the only things I actually did remember from reading the book. My mom was actually giving me crap about not crying during the "right" part. She's like, "For pete's sake! Ron and Hermione get together in the next book you know!" I know...even though I still haven't read it. Oops!

Now on to a few other things I enjoyed about this movie. The first is Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn. I thought he did fabulously instilling both a likability and a little bit of sleaziness to the character. And while I knew I'd seen him in movies before, I had to IMDB him. He also played Bridget Jones' dad in the movies and Zigler from Moulin Rouge. Okay, now I need to watch Moulin Rouge again.... Also, while I know it's not her first Potter movie, can I just mention how great Helena Bonham Carter is at playing a crazy person?!

There wasn't really anything I didn't enjoy about Half Blood Prince. It was well executed, the story and effects were great, and the 2 and a half hours just flew by. I didn't have to pee once! (which was a giant feat considering the being pregnant and the slurpee that was the size of my head)

No comments:

Post a Comment